Ideal for stash busting Floral Elegance Coasters whip up quickly as a lovely and thoughtful gift.
Perfect for bedside tables, a work desk, or a coffee table at a favourite reading nook.
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Recommended Yarn: DK / 8 ply / Cat. 3 weight yarn ~6-8g / 0.2-0.4Oz per coaster. Any fibre / yarn that is easy to wash and does not readily pill (such as cotton, cotton blends, easy wash wool, and non-pill acrylic). Example Project: Mix of Panda Carnival 8ply acrylic (natural and pink) and Marvel 8ply acrylic (green), ~6g / 0.2Oz in total per coaster.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension. Example Project: 4mm / G.
- Coaster Size: Varies with weight of chosen yarn/number of petals constructed: Example Project: ~12cm / 4.7” in diameter from petal to petal.
- Skill Level: Intermediate.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required / not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Constructed in the round, over five rounds, commencing with a HDC circle in Round 1. Round 2 constructs DC2TogCl flower petals. Round 5 constructs DC / HTR flower petals.
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #FloralEleganceCoasters.
- Beg = Beginning.
- Beg DC2TogCl = First Double Crochet Two Together Cluster (two DCs worked together in a single stitch from the previous round). Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- Ch = Chain.
- DC = Double Crochet.
- DC2TogCl = Double Crochet Two Together Cluster (two DCs worked together in a single stitch from the previous round). Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- DCStandSt = Double Crochet Standing Stitch. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- Fin = Finishing.
- FLO = Front Loop Only.
- HDC = Half Double Crochet.
- HTR = Half Triple Crochet. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- MC = Magic Circle.
- SC = Single Crochet.
- Sk = Skip.
- Sp = Space.
- Sl St = Slip Stitch.
- St = Stitch.
- Yoh = Yarn over hook.
Special Stitch Instructions
- Beg DC2TogCl (optional): Ch 1, SC in first st, Ch 1, insert hook through FLO of first SC made, yoh, pull through a loop (2 loops on hook), yoh, insert hook again through first st, yoh, pull through a loop (4 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining three loops on hook.
- DC2TogCl: Yoh, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through a loop (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (2 loops on hook), yoh, insert hook through same st as previous, yoh, pull through a loop (4 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining three loops on hook.
- DCStndSt (optional): Ch 1, SC in first Ch 2 Sp, Ch 1, SC in FLO of first SC.
- HTR: Yoh twice, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through a loop, yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (three loops rem), yoh, pull yarn through rem loops on hook.
- Invisible Join (optional): Remove loop from hook, insert hook from back to front through both loops of st join is to be made in, put removed loop back on hook, pull loop through st (from front to back), gently pull yarn end to tighten join.
- The coasters can be made with less petals, if preferred (and is recommended if using Worsted / Aran yarn instead of DK yarn). To alter the petal number, commence with a HDC stitch number that equals the preferred petal number. For example, for 10 petals, work 10 HDC in Round 1 (instead of the standard 12 HDC).
- If using multiple colours (as per example coasters), when changing colours for a new round, omit the beg Sl St and instead join the yarn directly in the location that would otherwise be Sl St to. The example coasters use the following colours: Beg Circle / Round 1: Colour A; Round 2: Colour B; Rounds 3 and 4: Colour C; Round 5: Colour A.
- Beg Ch 2 / Sl St, and fin Sl St do not count as a st for st count purposes nor as a st to be worked into in subsequent round.
- * * represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- St count follows each round instructions in ( ).
Beg Circle: Leaving a beg yarn tail of length sufficient to sew in, make a circle, either using a MC, or Ch 3 or 4 and Sl St into first Ch.
Round 1 – HDC: Ch 2, 12 HDC in beg circle, Sl St or Invisible Join into first HDC (sk beg Ch 2). (12 HDC)
Round 2 – DC2TogCl Petals: Note: If preferred, substitute Beg DC2TogCl for the first Ch 3 and DC – refer to Special Stitch Instructions. When completing the round Sl St into the Beg DC2TogCl instead. Ch 3, DC in first st (counts as a DC2TogCl) (first petal made), Ch 2, *DC2TogCl in next st (next petal made), Ch 2* eleven times in total, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 3). (12 DC2TogCl petals, 12 Ch 2 Sp)
Round 3 – DC Clusters: Note: If preferred, substitute DCStndSt for the beg Ch 3 – refer to Special Stitch Instructions. When completing the round Sl St into the DCStndSt instead. Sl St into next Ch 2 Sp, Ch 3 (counts as a DC), 2 DC in first Ch 2 Sp (first DC cluster made), Ch 1, sk next DC2TogCl, *3 DC in next Ch 2 Sp (next DC cluster made), Ch 1, sk next DC2TogCl* eleven times in total, Sl St into third Ch of Ch 3. (12 DC clusters, 12 Ch 1 Sp)
Round 4 – Ch 5 Sp: Sl St across to next Ch 1 Sp, Ch 5, sk next three st, *Sl St into next Ch 1 Sp, Ch 5, sk next three st* eleven times in total, Sl St (again) into first Ch 1 Sp. (12 Ch 5 Sp, 12 Sl St)
Round 5 – HTR/DC Petals: Sl St into next Ch 5 Sp, Ch 3, (DC, 3 HTR, DC) in first Ch 5 Sp, Ch 3, Sl St back into first Ch 5 Sp (first petal made), *Sl St across to next Ch 5 Sp, Ch 3, (DC, 3 HTR, DC) in same Ch 5 Sp, Ch 3, Sl St back into same Ch 5 Sp (next petal made)* eleven times in total, Sl St (again) into first Ch 5 Sp.(12 petals)
Finishing: Fasten off yarn, leaving a yarn tail of length sufficient to sew in. Sew in yarn ends securely on reverse of coaster.
Pattern support is available via thecrochetfix Facebook page.
|0.2||02/01/2022||Corrections from testing.|
- Karla Der – @madebykarla on IG, @madebykarlacrochet on FB, Madebykarla on Ravelry
- Richelle Cricks – @richellecricks on IG, richelle362 on Ravelry
- Claudia Merkel – @pieintheskyboutique on IG
- Shannon Maughan – @the.crafty.runner on IG, thecraftyrunner on Ravelry
- Tania Barry – @shewgirl1 on IG, shewgirl on Ravelry
- Beth Brady – @coffeeyarn.life on IG