Cute coasters with that fun 70’s vibe. These whip up quickly and are a great little stash buster project. Make some for your bestie to make them smile.
This pattern was created for #SmallProjectsChallenge2022 May “BEVERAGE” category and has not been tested as yet – if you notice any errors please contact me via FB message to alert me to these, thanks.
- Recommended Yarn: DK/8 ply/Cat. 3 weight yarn or light Worsted/10 ply/Cat. 4 weight yarn ~8-15g/0.3-0.4Oz per coaster. Any fibre / yarn that is easy to wash and does not readily pill (such as cotton, cotton blends, easy wash wool, and non-pill acrylic). Example Project: Panda Carnival 8 Ply Acrylic, Acid Yellow and Natural, ~8g/0.4Oz per coaster in total.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension. Example Project: 3.5mm/E.
- Coaster Size: Varies with weight of chosen yarn. Example Project: ~12-13cm/4.7-5.1” in diameter from petal to petal.
- Skill Level: Advanced (Adventurous) Beginner.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required/not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Constructed in the round, commencing with a DC circle. Rounds 2 and 3 extend the circle diameter. Rounds 4 and 5 construct the flower petals, using HDC and DC.
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #FlowerPowerCoasters.
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Beg = Beginning.
- Ch = Chain.
- DC = Double Crochet.
- DC2Cl = Double Crochet Cluster St. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- Fin = Finishing.
- HDC = Half Double Crochet.
- MC = Magic Circle.
- Rem = Remaining.
- RS = Right side.
- SC = Single Crochet.
- Sk = Skip.
- Sl St = Slip Stitch.
- St = Stitch.
- WS = Wrong side.
- Yoh = Yarn over hook.
Special Stitch Instructions
- DC2CL: Yoh, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through a loop, yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (two loops rem), yoh insert hook through same st as previous, yoh, pull through a loop, yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (three loops rem), yoh, pull yarn through rem loops on hook.
- Invisible Join (optional substitution for Fin Sl St): Remove loop from hook, insert hook from back to front through both loops of st join is to be made in, put removed loop back on hook, pull loop through st (from front to back), gently pull yarn end to tighten join.
- Beg Ch 1 and fin Invisible Join / Sl St do not count as a st for st count purposes nor as a st to be worked into in subsequent round.
- Beg Ch 2 (Rounds 1 to 3 only) does not count as a st for st count purposes nor as a st to be worked into in subsequent round.
- * * represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- St count follows each round in ( ).
- If working two colours as per example project, second colour can be joined in any st from Round 3 (for Rounds 4 and 5).
- Invisible Join (refer to Special Stitch Instructions) can be substituted for fin Sl St, if preferred.
Beg Circle: Leaving a beg yarn tail of length sufficient to sew in, make a circle, either using a MC, or Ch 3 or 4 and Sl St into first Ch.
Round 1 – DC: Ch 2, 12 DC in beg circle, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 2). (12 DC)
Round 2 – DC: Ch 2, 2 DC in each st around, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 2). (24 DC)
Round 3 – DC, DC2Cl: Ch 2, 2 DC in first st, DC2Cl in next st, *2 DC in next st, DC2Cl in next st* 11 times in total, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 2). (24 DC, 12 DC2Cl)
Round 4 – Petals 1: Ch 2 (counts as HDC) in first st, 2 DC in next st, 3 DC in next st, 2 DC in next st, HDC in next st (Petal made), Sl St in next st, *HDC in next st, 2 DC in next st, 3 DC in next st, 2 DC in next st, HDC in next st (Petal made), Sl St in next st* five times in total, Sl St into second Ch of beg Ch 2. (6 Petals (2 HDC, 7 DC per petal), 6 Sl St)
Round 5 – Petals 2: Sl St into next St, Ch 2 (counts as HDC), 2 DC in next two st, 3 DC in next st, 2 DC in next two st, HDC in next st (Petal made), sk next st, SC in next st from Round 3 (over top of Sl St from Round 4), sk next st, *HDC in next st, 2 DC in next two st, 3 DC in next st, 2 DC in next two st, HDC in next st (Petal made), sk next st, SC in next st from Round 3 (over top of Sl St from Round 4), sk next st* five times in total, Sl St into second Ch of beg Ch 2. (6 Petals (2 HDC, 11 DC per petal), 6 SC)
Finishing: Fasten off yarn, leaving a yarn tail of length sufficient to sew in. Sew in beg and fin yarn ends securely on WS.
Pattern support is available via thecrochetfix Facebook page.