A groovy flower motif that is quick to make and perfect for use as an applique, in bunting, and in other decorative projects such as pen/pencil toppers and fridge magnets. Great for stash-busting and small gifts.
- Recommended Yarn: DK/8 ply/Cat. 3 weight yarn, ~3g/0.1Oz per flower. Cotton, acrylic, or blends of these fibres. Example project: Lincraft Makr cotton (Clearwater shade), and Fiddlesticks Wren cotton (Banana shade). Refer to Ravelry for additional yarn ideas / project inspiration.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension. Example projects: F/3.75mm.
- Flower Size: ~7.5cm/3in from widest petal tip to petal tip.
- Skill Level: Advanced (adventurous) beginner to intermediate.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required/not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Motif is constructed in the round, commencing with a circle. Round 2 forms the petals from Ch, HTR and Sl St. Round 3 uses combination of Ch, FpDC, DC and DCCl to create petal texture. Flower Power Pen Topper project instructions included separately.
- Other Materials: Darning needle. If making magnets: Round plastic-coated magnets ~1cm/0.75in in diameter and craft glue (suitable for gluing material to plastic). If making pen topper: Pen or pencil with flat top.
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #FlowerPowerCrochetMotif.
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Beg = Beginning.
- Btwn = Between.
- Ch = Chain.
- DC = Double Crochet.
- DCCl = Triple Crochet Cluster (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- Fin = Finishing.
- FpDC = Front Post Double Crochet.
- HDC = Half Double Crochet.
- HTR = Half Triple Crochet (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- MC = Magic Circle.
- Prev = Previous.
- Rnd = Round.
- Sl St = Slip Stitch.
- Sp = Space.
- St = Stitch.
- TRCl = Triple Crochet Cluster (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- WS = Wrong Side.
- Yoh = Yarn over hook.
Special Stitch Instructions
- DCCl: Yoh, insert hook through beg circle, yoh, pull through a loop (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (2 loops on hook), yoh, insert hook through beg circle, yoh, pull through a loop (4 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining three loops on hook.
- HTR: Yoh twice, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through a loop, yoh, pull through two loops on hook (three loops remaining), yoh, pull through remaining three loops on hook.
- TRCl: Yoh twice, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through a loop (4 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (2 loops on hook), yoh twice, insert hook back through same st as previous, yoh, pull through a loop (5 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (4 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining three loops on hook.
- The flowers can be made to a bigger circumference by using Worsted/10ply/Cat. 4 yarn.
- The petal number can be reduced or increased by starting with less or more DCCl st.
- A button can be added to the centre of the flower for extra cute.
- The motif can be used to make a decorative magnet, sweet bunting, or as an applique. To make bunting, chain a length of Ch st, and then join the motifs by Sl St with a consistent Ch spacing.
Motif Pattern Instructions
- Beg Ch 3 + first DC counts as a DCCl for st count purposes.
- [ ] represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- St count is provided in brackets () following each round instructions.
Leaving a beg yarn tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in, make a circle, either using a MC, or Ch 3/Ch 4 (according to personal preference) and Sl St into first Ch.
Round 1 – DCCl Circle
Ch 3, DC over beg circle (counts as first DCCl), 9 DCCl over beg circle, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 3). Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in. (10 DCCl)
Round 2 – Petals
Join next colour in any st from Round 1, Ch 3, 2 HTR in first st, Ch 3, Sl St back into first st (first petal made), [Sl St into next st twice, Ch 3, 2 HTR in same st as second Sl St made, Ch 3, Sl St back into same st (next petal made)] four times in total, Sl St into next st twice (finishing in the st in which the round was commenced). (5 petals separated by a Sl St gap)
Round 3 – Petals
Note: Refer to Appendix 1 for images.
[Ch 3, DC in first Ch 3 Sp, FpDC around petal first HTR, TRCl btwn petal first and second HTRs, FpDC around petal second HTR, DC in second Ch 3 Sp, Ch 3, Sl St back into same Rnd 1 st as first Ch 3 was made from (petal made), Sl St into next st twice (using Rnd 1 st and working over the top of Rnd 2 st)] five times in total, Sl St into next st twice (as before, and finishing in the Rnd 1 st in which Rnd 3 was commenced). Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in. (5 petals separated by a Sl St gap)
Sew in all ends on WS. If using motif to make a decorative magnet, glue the magnet onto WS of flower using a generous dollop of glue.
Pen Topper Instructions
Construct a chain (using Ch st) that fits snuggly around the circumference of the pen, Sl St into first Ch to make Ch circle, Ch 1, SC (with yarn under) in first Ch, continue to SC (yarn under) in each st around (in a continuous spiral – do not Sl St at the end of each rnd) until a tube of at least ~5-7cm/2-2.8in is made. Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~7cm/~2.8in. Use yarn tail to sew top of tube securely to bottom of flower.
Lower, Larger Leaf: Attach yarn in a Tube st, Ch 6, HDC in 3rd Ch from hook, HTR in next three Ch, Sl St into tube in place that Ch 6 originates.
Upper, Smaller Leaf: Either pull yarn through to a different Tube st or reattach yarn in different Tube st, Ch 5, HDC in 3rd Ch from hook, DC in next two Ch, Sl St into tube in place that Ch 5 originates.
Pattern support is available via thecrochetfix Facebook page.
|0.1||22/04/2022 – 11/05/2022||Initial draft.|
Appendix 1 – Images
Images for the complicated Round 3 construction are provided below:
Round 2 completed and Round 3 commenced with Ch 3. Location to DC (in Ch 3 Sp) shown.
Round 3 first DC made.
First FpDC made and location to TRCl shown.
First petal made.