Super cute flower magnets that make a perfect, sweet gift as a set, or sell at craft markets as single magnets or sets. Easy and quick to make, and great for stash busting.
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Recommended Yarn: DK/8 ply/Cat. 3 weight yarn, ~3g/0.1Oz per magnet. Cotton, acrylic, or blends of these fibres. Example project: Lincraft Makr cotton (Nile Blue and Clearwater shades), and Four Seasons Flinders cotton (Tumeric shade). Refer to Ravelry for additional yarn ideas / project inspiration.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension.
- Magnet Size: ~6cm/2.4in in diameter.
- Skill Level: Advanced (adventurous) beginner to intermediate.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required/not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Constructed in the round, commencing with a circle. Round 2 is worked in the FLO of Round 1 st. Round 3 is worked in the BLO of Round 1 st.
- Other Materials: Darning needle. Round plastic coated magnets ~1cm/0.75in in diameter. Craft glue (suitable for material and plastic).
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #CuteCrochetFlowerMagnet
- Beg = Beginning.
- BLO = Back Loop Only.
- Ch = Chain.
- DC = Double Crochet.
- DCCl = Double Crochet Cluster (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- Fin = Finishing.
- FLO = Front Loop Only.
- HDC = Half Double Crochet.
- HTR = Half Triple Crochet (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- MC = Magic Circle.
- Sl St = Slip Stitch.
- St = Stitch.
- TR = Triple Crochet (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- WS = Wrong Side.
- Yoh = Yarn over hook
- The flowers can be made to a bigger circumference by using Worsted/10ply/Cat. 4 yarn.
- The petal number can be reduced or increased by starting with less or more DCCl st.
- For slightly different petal appearance try one or both of the Appendix 1 Petal Variations.
- A button can be added to the centre of the flower for extra cute.
- Beg Ch 3 + first DC counts as a DCCl for st count purposes.
- [ ] represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- St count is provided in brackets () following each round instructions.
Beg Circle: Leaving a beg yarn tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in, make a circle, either using a MC, or Ch 3-4 and Sl St into first Ch.
Round 1 – DCCL: Ch 3, DC over beg circle (counts as first DCCl), 7 DCCl over beg circle, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 3). Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in. (8 DCCl)
Round 2 – Small Petals: Join next colour in the FLO of any st from Round 1. Working in FLO of each st from Round 1: Ch 2, 2 DC in first st, Ch 2, Sl St back into first st (first petal made), [Sl St into next st, Ch 2, 2 DC in same st, Ch 2, Sl St back into same st (next petal made)] seven times in total, Sl St into first st (where the round was commenced). Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in. (8 small petals)
Round 3 – Big Petals: Join next colour in the BLO of any st from Round 1. Working in BLO of each st from Round 1 (and behind each small petal from the previous round): Ch 3, 3 HTR in first st, Ch 3, Sl St back into first st (first petal made), [Sl St into next st, Ch 3, 3 HTR in same st, Ch 3, Sl St back into same st (next petal made)] seven times in total, Sl St into first st (where the round was commenced). Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in. (8 large petals)
Finishing: Sew in all ends on WS. Glue magnet onto WS of flower using a generous dollop of glue.
Pattern support is available via thecrochetfix Facebook page.
Round 2 – Small Petals: For even smaller petals substitute one HDC for the 2 DC in each petal (one less st per petal).
Round 3 – Big Petals: For even bigger petals substitute Ch 4 for Ch 3 and a TR for each HTR (same number of st per petal).