Cute crochet facial rounds that whip up quickly once you get into the rhythm of working the puff stitches. The texture resulting from the puff and post stitches is both pretty to look at and effective to use. Perfect for a small gift, stocking filler, charity item, or market stall stock. Make these with organic cotton for your premium range.
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Recommended Yarn: DK/8 ply/Cat. 3 weight yarn, ~8-10g/0.3-0.4Oz per scrub. Cotton or cotton/bamboo blend. Refer to Appendix 1 for Project Examples. Refer to Ravelry for additional yarn ideas / project inspiration.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension.
- Scrub Size: ~7.5- 9cm/3-3.5in in diameter.
- Skill Level: Intermediate.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required/ not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Constructed in the round, commencing with a DC circle. Rounds 2 to 4 texture results from puff and post stitches. Two options for Round 4: finish as circle or flower shape.
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #SuperScrubFacialRounds.
- Beg =Beginning.
- BLO = Back Loop Only.
- Ch = Chain.
- DC = Double Crochet.
- DCCl = Double Crochet Cluster (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- DCStndSt = Double Crochet Standing Stitch (refer to Special Stitch instructions).
- Fin = Finishing.
- FL = Front Loop.
- FLO = Front Loop Only.
- FpDC = Front Post Double Crochet (constructed around the front of the stitch post (instead of in the top two loops of the stitch, as for standard DC)).
- FpDCStndSt = Front Post Double Crochet Standing Stitch (refer to Special Stitch instructions).
- FpSC = Front Post Single Crochet (constructed around the front of the stitch post).
- HDC = Half Double Crochet.
- MC = Magic Circle.
- Puff-4/Puff-5 = Puff Stitch variations (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- SC = Single Crochet.
- SC-Pct = Single Crochet with Picot (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- Sk = Skip.
- Sl St = Slip Stitch.
- St = Stitch
- WS = Wrong Side.
- Yoh = Yarn over hook
 Can be substituted with (Ch 1, SC, Ch 2), any other chainless DC, or Ch 3.
 Can be substituted with (Ch 1, FpSC, Ch 2), or any other chainless FpDC.
Special Stitch Instructions
DCCL: Yoh, insert hook through beg circle, yoh, pull through a loop (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (2 loops on hook), yoh, insert hook through beg circle, yoh, pull through a loop (4 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first two loops on hook (3 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining three loops on hook.
DCStndSt (stacked SC method): Ch 1, SC in first st from previous round, Ch 1, SC in FLO of first SC.
FpDCStndSt (stacked SC method): Ch 1, FpSC around first st from previous round, Ch 1, SC in FLO of FpSC.
Puff Stitch (Puff-4 and Puff-5). Puff-4: Yoh, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through loop (three loops on hook), [yoh, insert hook back through same st as before, pull through loop (an additional two loops on hook)] three times in total (nine loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first eight loops on hook (two loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining two loops on hook. Puff-5: Yoh, insert hook through st, yoh, pull through loop (three loops on hook, [yoh, insert hook back through same st as before, pull through loop (an additional two loops on hook)] four times in total (11 loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through first 10 loops on hook (two loops on hook), yoh, pull yarn through remaining two loops on hook.
- The scrubs can be made to a bigger circumference by using Worsted/10ply/Cat. 4 yarn, or by making 12 DCCl in Round 1 (instead of pattern 10 DCCl).
- Beg Ch 1 and Fin Sl St do not count as a st for st count purposes.
- Beg Ch 3 + first DC counts as a DCCl for st count purposes.
- FpDCStndSt counts as a FpDC for st count purposes.
- DCStndSt counts as a DC for st count purposes.
- [ ] represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- St count is provided in brackets () following each round instructions.
- Work only one Round 4 round – either Option A OR Option B.
Beg Circle: Leaving a beg yarn tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in, make a circle, either using a MC, or Ch 3-4 and Sl St into first Ch.
Round 1 – DC: Ch 3, DC over beg circle (counts as first DCCl), 9 DCCl over beg circle, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 3).(10 DCCl)
Round 2 – DC & Puff-4: DCStndSt and Puff-4 in first DC from previous round, DC and Puff-4 in each of the next nine st, Sl St into DCStndSt. (10 DC, 10 Puff-4)
Round 3 – FpDC, HDC & Puff-5: FpDCStndSt around previous round DCStndSt, (HDC, Puff-5, HDC) in next st, [FpDC around next st, (HDC, Puff-5, HDC) in next st] nine times in total, Sl St into beg FpDCStndSt. (10 FpDC, 20 HDC, 10 Puff-5)
Round 4A – FpSC & SC: Note: Work all st in this round with a slightly looser tension, or with a bigger hook. Ch 1, FpSC around previous round FpDCStndSt, SC in next HDC, FpSC around next Puff-5, SC in next HDC, [FpSC around next FpDC, SC in next HDC, FpSC around next Puff-5, SC in next HDC] nine times in total, Sl St into beg FpSC (sk beg Ch 1). (Stitch Count: 20 FpSC, 20 SC)
Or Round 4B – Petals: DCStndSt and 5 DC in previous round FpDCStndSt, sk next HDC, FpSC around next Puff-5, sk next HDC, [6 DC in next FpDC, sk next HDC, FpDC around next Puff-5, sk next HDC] nine times in total, Sl St into beg DCStndSt. (10 petals, with each petal consisting of 6 DC and FpSC)
Finishing: Fasten off yarn leaving tail of ~5-7cm/~2-2.8in. Sew in both ends securely on WS.
Pattern support is available via thecrochetfix Facebook page.
Appendix 1 – Example Projects
- Blue (round)
- Yarn: ~8g / 0.3Oz of Lincraft Makr Cotton (8 Ply) in Periwinkle.
- Hook: 3.5mm / E.
- Round 1 st count: 10 DCCl.
- Round 4: Option A.
- Size: ~7.5cm / 3” in diameter.
- Pink (flower)
- Yarn: ~10g / 0.4Oz of Lincraft Makr Cotton (8 Ply) in Peachskin.
- Hook: 3.5mm / E.
- Round 1 st count: 10 DCCl.
- Round 4: Option B.
- Size: ~9cm / 3.5” in diameter (from petal tip to petal tip).