A sweet textured beverage coaster that is dainty in size (approximately 9-9.5cm/3.5-3.75in in diameter) and appearance, featuring an elegant border.
Perfect for gifts and market stall stock. Ideal as a fun stash-busting project.
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Recommended Yarn: DK/8 ply/Cat. 3 weight yarn, ~10g/0.4Oz per coaster. Any fibre/ yarn that is easy to wash and does not readily pill (such as cotton, cotton blends, and non-pill acrylic). Refer to Ravelry for yarn ideas / project inspiration.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension. Pictured coasters: 3.75mm/F.
- Coaster Size: Varies with weight of chosen yarn. Pictured coasters: ~9.5cm/3.75in in diameter.
- Skill Level: Intermediate.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required/not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Constructed in the round, commencing with a DC circle. Round 2 to 4 texture results from puff, post and BLO stitches. Round 5 SC picot border adds a feminine touch.
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #DaintyCoasters.
- Beg = Beginning.
- BLO = Back Loop Only.
- Ch = Chain.
- DC = Double Crochet.
- DCStndSt = Double Crochet Standing Stitch (refer to Special Stitch instructions).
- Fin = Finishing.
- FL = Front Loop.
- FLO = Front Loop Only.
- FpDC = Front Post Double Crochet (constructed around the front of the stitch post (instead of in the top two loops of the stitch, as for standard DC)).
- FpDCStndSt = Front Post Double Crochet Standing Stitch (refer to Special Stitch instructions).
- FpSC = Front Post Single Crochet (constructed around the front of the stitch post).
- HDC = Half Double Crochet.
- MC = Magic Circle.
- Puff-4/Puff-5 = Puff Stitch variations (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- SC = Single Crochet.
- SC-Pct = Single Crochet with Picot (refer to Special Stitch Instructions).
- Sk = Skip.
- Sl St = Slip Stitch.
- St = Stitch.
 Can be substituted with (Ch 1, SC, Ch 2), any other chainless DC, or Ch 3.
 Can be substituted with (Ch 1, FpSC, Ch 2) or any other chainless FpDC.
Special Stitch Instructions
Note: Refer to The Crochet Fix YouTube Channel and Appendix 1 for visualisation. Ch 1, SC in first stitch from previous round, Ch 1, SC in FLO of SC that was just made.
Note: Refer to Appendix 1 for visualisation. Ch 1, FpSC around first stitch from previous round, Ch 1, SC in FLO of FpSC that was just made.
Puff Stitch (Puff-4 and Puff-5)
Yarn over hook, insert hook through stitch, yarn over hook, pull through loop (three loops on hook), *yarn over hook, insert hook back through same st as before, pull through loop (an additional two loops on hook)* three times in total (nine loops on hook), yarn over hook, pull yarn through first eight loops on hook (two loops on hook), yarn over hook, pull yarn through remaining two loops on hook.
Yarn over hook, insert hook through stitch, yarn over hook, pull through loop (three loops on hook, *yarn over hook, insert hook back through same st as before, pull through loop (an additional two loops on hook)* four times in total (11 loops on hook), yarn over hook, pull yarn through first 10 loops on hook (two loops on hook), yarn over hook, pull yarn through remaining two loops on hook.
Note: This modified picot is slightly different to a regular picot. For the Sl St, it uses both the SC FL and the SC left ‘V’ stitch post. Refer to Appendix 1 for visualisation. SC, Ch 3, Sl St into both FL and left ‘V’ st post of SC that was just made.
- The length of the SC-Pct Ch can be increased to Ch 4 or Ch 5 (instead of Ch 3) according to personal preference. This is recommended if your tension is quite tight.
- The coasters can be made to a bigger circumference by using Worsted/10ply/Cat. 4 yarn, or by making 12 DC in Round 1 (instead of pattern 10 DC).
- In Round 5, ensure that SC-Pct Ch 3 chains are all a consistent tension so that the resulting SC-Pct picots are same size around the entire coaster circumference.
- Beg Ch 1/Ch 2 and Fin Sl St do not count as a st for st count purposes.
- FpDCStndSt counts as a FpDC for st count purposes.
- DCStndSt counts as a DC for st count purposes.
- * * represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- St count is provided in brackets () following each round instructions.
- Photos of each round completed are provided in Appendix 2.
Beg Circle: Leaving a beg yarn tail of ~7-10cm/~2.8-3.9in, make a circle, either using a MC, or Ch 3-4 and Sl St into first Ch.
Round 1 – DC: Ch 2, 10 DC over beg circle, Sl St into first DC (sk beg Ch 2). (10 DC)
Round 2 – DC & Puff-4: DCStndSt and Puff-4 in first DC from previous round, DC and Puff-4 in each of the next nine st, Sl St into DCStndSt. (10 DC, 10 Puff-4)
Round 3 – FpDC, HDC & Puff-5: FpDCStndSt around previous round DCStndSt, (HDC, Puff-5, HDC) in next st, *FpDC around next st, (HDC, Puff-5, HDC) in next st* nine times in total, Sl St into beg FpDCStndSt. (10 FpDC, 20 HDC, 10 Puff-5)
Round 4 – FpSC & SC: Note: Work all st in this round with a slightly looser tension. Ch 1, FpSC around previous round FpDCStndSt, SC in next HDC, FpSC around next Puff-5, SC in next HDC, *FpSC around next FpDC, SC in next HDC, FpSC around next Puff-5, SC in next HDC* nine times in total, Sl St into beg FpSC (sk beg Ch 1). (Stitch Count: 20 FpSC, 20 SC)
Round 5 – SC-Pct: Ch 1, SC-Pct in BLO of each st around, Sl St into beg SC-Pct. Fasten off yarn leaving a yarn tail of ~7-10cm/~2.8-3.9in. Sew in ends on reverse. (40 SC-Pct)
Pattern support is available via thecrochetfix Facebook page.
|0.2||02/01/2022||Corrections and enhancements from testing.|
|0.3||03/02/2022||Add/replace images. Remove other Round 5 option.|
Many thanks to the following testers for your efforts in testing this coaster design – your help is most appreciated:
- Shannon Maughan – (@crafty.runner on IG and thecraftyrunner on Ravelry)
- Tania Barry – (@shewgirl1 on IG and Shewgirl on Ravelry)
- Lucy Thompson – (@maialaparklodge on IG and FB)
- Jacqui Jones – (Djon7593 on Ravelry)
- Cathryn Pernstich – (@burli_makes on IG and Burli on Ravelry)
- Amy Barber – (@lil_aymz on IG and LilAymz on Ravelry)
- Maddison Dolman – (@hellopumpkincrochet on IG and Maddisonmuse on Ravelry)
Appendix 1 – Stitch Images
Image shows the first SC and Ch 1 constructed. The hook should be inserted through the FL of the first SC (location as per arrow) to construct the second (stacked) SC.
L image shows the FpSC and Ch 1 constructed. The hook should be inserted through the FL of the FpSC (location as per arrow) to construct the stacked SC. The finished FpDCStndSt should appear as per R image.
L image shows the first SC and Ch 3 constructed. The hook should be inserted through the SC FL and the left post of the SC ‘V’ (location as per arrows, and as demonstrated in Centre image). R image shows the location of SC FL and left post of SC ‘V’ for second SC-Pct.