Popcorn Flower Stars
These sweet popcorn stars are a little bit Boho and a lot sweet! They can be used as ornaments, as motifs that can be joined to make a sweet lap blanket or bed runner, or as motifs to make pretty bunting with.
Perfect for stash-busting with each star using between ~9g/0.28Oz to ~15g/0.53Oz of yarn (depending on star design, yarn/hook/tension).
This is an original pattern by Farrah Jane Tate. You are welcome to sell products you have made using my patterns; however, I ask that you refer to the exact name of my pattern somewhere in the text of your listing. You may not copy, re-publish, sell, distribute, translate without permission, or claim my photos or patterns as your own in any way. Please note: If you have downloaded this pattern from a site other than Ravelry, Love Crafts, Etsy, or my personal blog, you may not have the most current version. Please visit one of these sites to download an official, version-controlled copy.
- Recommended Yarn: DK/8 ply/Cat. 3 weight or Worsted/Aran/10 ply/ Cat. 4 weight. Acrylic, Cotton, or blends including these fibres.
- Hook Size: Use yarn label instructions as a guide for selecting hook size. Swatch to determine the optimal hook size for your tension.
- Finished Star Size: Varies with weight and brand of chosen yarn, chosen hook and personal tension. Refer to Project Examples for approximate size of stars made with DK yarn and Worsted yarn. Refer also to Project Examples in Ravelry.
- Skill Level: Intermediate.
- Stitch Terminology: US. Refer to Abbreviations and Special Stitch Instructions.
- Gauge: Specific gauge not required/ not important for this item.
- Pattern Synopsis: Three different star motif design options are provided in the pdf available from Ravelry. One of these is available for free in this blog post. Stars are constructed in the round, commencing with a circle. Star centre is made from Popcorn Stitch. Other textured stitches include puff stitch, post stitches, and third loop stitches.
- Social Media Share: Please tag me @TheCrochetFix and Hash Tag your projects #PopcornFlowerStar.
Blue Star. Design 1 (6 points). Yarn: Caron Cakes yarn scraps. Yarn Weight: 10ply/Worsted/Cat. 4. Yarn Amount: ~9g/0.32Oz. Hook: 4.5mm/H/7. Size: ~13cm/5.1“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip.
Mustard Stars. Top Left: Design 2. Yarn: 4 Seasons Spot Saver USA Medium Weight Yarn in Pumpkin. Yarn Weight: 10ply/Worsted/Cat. 4. Yarn Amount: ~10g/0.35Oz. Hook: 4.5mm/H/7. Size: ~15.5cm/6.1“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip. Top Right: Design 3. Yarn: As above. Yarn Weight: As above. Yarn Amount: ~15g/0.53Oz. Hook: As above. Size: 15cm/5.9“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip. Bottom: Design 1 (5 points). Yarn: As above. Yarn Weight: As above. Yarn Amount: ~8g/0.28Oz. Hook: As above. Size: ~13cm/5.1“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip.
Yellow-Green Stars. Top: Design 1 (5 points). Yarn: Carnival 8ply Acrylic in shade 2025. Yarn Weight: 8ply/DK/Cat. 3. Yarn Amount: ~3g/0.1Oz. Hook: 3.5mm/F. Size: ~9.5cm/3.7“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip. Middle: Design 2. Yarn: As above. Yarn Weight: As above. Yarn Amount: ~5g/0.12Oz. Hook: As above. Size: ~11cm/4.3“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip. Bottom: Design 3. Yarn: As above. Yarn Weight: As above. Yarn Amount: ~5g/0.12Oz. Hook: As above. Size: ~11.5cm/4.5“ in diameter from star tip to opposite star tip.
- 3L = Third Loop. To access this loop, fold edge over (forwards) so that the reverse side/ back of the stitches is exposed. The 3L is located beneath the BL.
- Beg = Beginning
- Beg Picot Shell = First picot shell in the round. Refer to Special Stitch Sequences.
- Beg PC = Beginning Popcorn Stitch. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- BL = Back Loop
- BpDC = Back Post Double Crochet (DC constructed around the back of the stitch post)
- BpSC = Back Post Single Crochet (SC constructed around the back of the stitch post)
- Ch = Chain
- DC = Double Crochet
- DCStndSt = Double Crochet Standing Stitch. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions. Can be substituted with Ch 3.
- FL = Front Loop
- FpSC = Single Crochet (SC constructed around the front of the stitch post).
- MC = Magic Circle
- PC = Popcorn Stitch. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
- Picot Shell = 5 DC shell with picot on middle DC. Refer to Special Stitch Sequences.
- Shell = 5 or 7 DCs in the one st (as per pattern instructions).
- Sp = Space
- Sk = Skip
- Sl St = Slip Stitch
- St = Stitch
- TR-Picot = Triple Crochet with Picot. Refer to Special Stitch Instructions.
Special Stitch Instructions
(DCStndSt, 3 DC) over circle (Round 1) or (DCStndSt, 3 DC) in first st (subsequent rounds). Remove hook from loop. Insert hook from front to back through both loops of DCStndSt. Insert hook back through loop of completed third DC (that hook was previously removed from). Pull third DC loop through the two loops of the DCStndSt.
Note: Ch 3, or any other chainless DC can be substituted for this st, if preferred.
(Ch 1, SC) in first st from previous round. (Ch 1, SC) in FL of SC that was just made.
4 DC over circle (Round 1) or 4 DC in next St (subsequent rounds). Remove hook from loop. Insert hook from front to back through both loops of first DC. Insert hook back through loop of completed fourth DC (that hook was previously removed from). Pull fourth DC loop through the two loops of the DCStndSt.
Yarn over hook twice, insert hook through st, yarn over hook, pull through a loop (four loops on hook), yarn over hook, pull yarn through two loops on hook (three loops remaining), yarn over hook, through two loops on hook (two loops remaining), yarn over hook, pull through remaining two loops on hook (TR made). Ch 4, Sl St into top of TR (inserting hook from back to front of st) (Picot made).
Special Stitch Sequences
Beg Picot Shell
Work the following st all in the same st from previous round: DCStndSt, DC, TR-Picot, 2 DC.
Work the following st all in the same st from previous round: 2 DC, TR-Picot, 2 DC.
- Stars can be made with single yarn colour or different yarn colour for one or more rounds.
- Stars can be constructed with or without a hanging loop. When constructed without a hanging loop the stars can be joined to construct a bed runner, a blanket, a shawl, etc.
- A hanging loop can be constructed using the final optional round provided in the pattern instructions, or this can be added separately after.
- To construct star bunting, make the number of motifs required, then crochet through one of the picots per star, to join each star along the bunting chain, at a regular chain length interval.
- The Picot Ch length can be varied from Special Stitch Instructions as preferred.
- Optionally block and/or starch finished stars.
- Refer to Special Stitch Sequences for instructions for Beg Picot Shell and Picot Shell.
- DCStndSt can be substituted with Ch 3, or other chainless DC, if preferred.
- DCStndSt counts as a DC for st count purposes.
- Beg Ch 1 and Beg Sl St are not included in st count.
- * * represents a st sequence that is to be repeated the number of times specified by the pattern instructions.
- Unless otherwise specifically indicated, all stitches should be worked in both the FL and BL of previous round stitches.
- Designs 2 and 3 are available in Ravelry pdf.
- This star motif can be made with 5, 6 or 7 points, according to personal preference.
- The st * * repeat value is specific to the chosen star point number, as follows: (<repeat number for 5 points>, <repeat number for 6 points>, <repeat number for 7 points>).
- The st count provided is specific to the chosen star point number, as follows: (<stitch count for 5 points>), (<stitch count for 6 points>), (<stitch count for 7 points>).
Make a circle, either using MC, or Ch 3-4 then Sl St into first Ch to close circle.
Beg PC over circle, Ch 2, *PC over circle, Ch 2* (4, 5, 6) times in total, Sl St into Beg PC. Pull circle taut if using a magic circle. (St Count: (5 PC and 5 Ch 2 Sp), (6 PC and 6 Ch 2 Sp), (7 PC and 7 Ch 2 Sp))
Ch 1, FpSC around first PC, 3 DC in next Ch 2 Sp, *FpSC around next PC, 3 DC in next Ch 2 Sp* (4, 5, 6) times in total, Sl St into first FpSC (sk Ch 1). (St Count: (5 FpSC and 15 DC), (6 FpSC and 18 DC), (7 FpSC and 21 DC))
(DCStndSt, 3 DC) in first FpSC, sk next DC, BpDC around next DC, sk next DC, *5 DC (shell) in next FpSC, sk next DC, BpDC around next DC, sk next DC* (4, 5, 6) times in total, DC in first FpSC (i.e. the same st that the DCStndSt and first 3 DC were made in), Sl St into DCStndSt. (St Count: (5 BpDC and 5 Shells), (6 BpDC and 6 shells), (7 BpDC and 7 shells))
Sl St into 3L of next DC, Beg Picot Shell in 3L of same DC (that was Sl St into), Ch 3, sk next two DC, BpSC around next BpDC, Ch 3, sk next two DC, *Picot Shell in 3L of next DC, Ch 3, sk next two DC, BpSC around next BpDC, Ch 3, sk next two DC* (4, 5, 6) times in total, Sl St into DCStndSt of Beg Picot shell (sk beg Sl St). (St Count: (5 BpSC, 10 Ch 3 Sp, and 5 lots of Picot shells), (6 BpSC, 12 Ch 3 Sp, and 6 lots of Picot shells), (7 BpSC, 14 Ch 3 Sp, and 7 Picot Shells))
Finishing With Hang Loop (optional)
Sl St across to Picot opening, remove loop from hook, insert hook through Picot opening from back to front, pull through loop, lengthen loop, knot at base of loop to fasten, cut yarn leaving ~7 cm tail. Sew in ends on reverse.
Pattern support is available via the following social media platforms: Facebook: thecrochetfix
Pattern Versioning (includes pdf content)
|0.2||03/11/2021||Modification of Design 3.|
|0.3||17/11/2021||Corrections/ enhancements from testing.|
|0.4||24/11/2021||Inclusion of Appendix 1 images.|
Many thanks to the following fabulous testers for your efforts in testing this design – your help is most appreciated:
- Shannon Maughan (@crafty.runner on IG, and thecraftyrunner on Ravelry)
- Emma-Joy Gilbert (@handmadeonahook on IG and FB, and Em-J87 on Ravelry)
- Lee Neudahl Smith (@lee_katherine_8 on IG, and needlekrafter on Ravelry)
- Jade Taylor (@blackholesandunicornscrochet on IG, @blackholesandunicornshandmadeandcrochet on FB) and jadektaylor on Ravelry)
- Jo Fowkes (@fibreandthreads on IG, FB, and Etsy)
- Tara Lee (@fennecfoxco on IG, FB and Etsy)